Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's been over a month...

since I started training for my first full marathon. With the help of my "Koach" Kenneth Williams (FB: www.facebook.com/marathonkoach) (Twitter: www.twitter.com/MarathonKoach) I started my adventure to get fit for the Tel Aviv Marathon April 8th, 2011 on June 7th 2010.

My Koach was a bit worried that I might get bored during the long time till the marathon but I'm so not worried.... actually today I looked at my ticker and it said 8 months, 4 weeks and 1 day.... and THAT scared me... ahhh only 8 more months.

I have been battling some health issues during the last few weeks. Mostly hormonal ones. I am fighting PCOS for 17 years now and unfortunately it still has it up and downs and I felt like I'm on a roller-coaster straight down to hell the last two months.

In May I decided to go back on birth-control... bad bad bad decision... after trying most of the things on the market, I went for the Nuvaring. Honest to G-D I thought I'm going to die. My significant other wasn't much of a help either, telling me to just take it out and that's it. Yeah sure, I'm going to mess up my health AND my cycle.. no way! So I suffered for 3 weeks and when I could finally get rid of the ring, I started to feel like a mensch again. But of course the problem wasn't over then. I feared that my bleeding the coming month would be bad, and I even stayed home for a day due to the cramps and due to a summer flue. (some germs in the office I guess mixed with me sleeping with an open window..).

I also had some problems with my right leg. Running over an hour on concrete was a wee bit too much for my leg and my Koach was concerned, I might have some leg injury. So being a good student, I went to see my doc who told me that my leg is fine but I might consider running more on the beach.

So this is what I'm trying to do. Taking into account, how tiny Tel Aviv is, running my 7 miles takes me all the way up north and then back to Bat Yam (the next city) and back (about 4 mi on the beach)...

(I will literately run out of space once I have to run 20 miles LMAO) Yes... another sign why I should move to a bigger country... such as the USA ;) hihi

When I decided to get ready for a marathon, my "bf" wasn't too happy about it. He started telling me, that I'm not 17 any more and can't just do such a thing. And thinking of finishing an Ironman is anyway completely ludicrous. On the other hand he tells me, that he stands behind my decisions no matter what and will support me, he's just concerned for my health... hihi.. I mean.. yes.. it's cute, but there is nothing he needs to worry about. I'm a big girl.. just as he pointed out, I'm not 17 anymore.... I know what I'm doing and I do it not only with my body (as I did at the age of 17) but with my brains too.

After last year's disaster 10K Human Race (Nike Nite Run Tel Aviv), which I finished in 1:30!!! (don't ask).. with blood in my shoes and bruised toes (that I'm still recovering from.. almost there.. almost there), I took a long break from running. I only got back mid March and "trained" for the 10K Tel Aviv Urban Race (Part of the Tel Aviv Marathon). I trained 7 weeks and finished in 1:08 without blood in my shoes. I wasn't really happy with my time but I never once stopped to walk.. I "ran" everything. So yes, I was the slowest of our Office Group but I was also the only girl from the office that at the end did show up and ran. I'd say, not too shabby. :)

After the race, I decided to go for the whole distance. I was twittering around and somehow found my Koach. I loved his Running Tips and so I followed him and he started following me and then he offered me free online coaching for my first marathon. I was thrilled.

Two weeks ago, trying to get used to the heat in Israel, I decided to go for an early run. My Koach thought, that was a good idea and his email to me the day before was: Get your tired ass out of the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so I did. The answer from my "bf" was "I hate your coach"... lol.. I guess... me Koach and I are on the right track then. ;)

But going for a run in the AM when you start getting some sort of flue, might not have been the best of ideas. Now I'm someone who thinks "if I ignore the pain or the 'feeling sick part' it will go away" didn't work out this time. I got really sick and battled for most of this week with it. :(

Tomorrow I'm giving myself the last "free" day and then I'm off running again. Hey.. I missed a WHOLE WEEK of training.. sheeeesh... terrible...

Yesterday I came across another "Cyster's" Blog http://www.weightinvain.com/ (I also follow her on twitter @weightinvain)  She has a section in her blog "why we run" and I started to think, why do we? We had this discussion the other day on twitter... that we all think (while we run/race) WHY... WHY ON EARTH AM I DOING THAT??? and as soon as the race is over.. we think "hey.. that was fun... what's next!". A non-runner will never understand and a runner/ biker / swimmer (or any other athlete) will never be able to explain why we put ourselves through this "agony" over and over again. After all, you race once, you KNOW how much you "suffer", so why do it again?

Think of it this way. You have something really super yummie to eat.. you eat too much and have a stomach ache... well you KNEW this would happen.... and yes.. you already know.. it will happen again. Same goes for sport. We are addicted and can't help it.

For me, there is even more than the "masochistic" pain I inflict upon myself over and over again. I have something to prove. More to myself than others but of course "others" are involved too. When I was young, I was super sporty and nothing and no one could stop me. Or so I thought. But unfortunately something did stop me at some point with most of the competitive sports I've done. May it be a person or time or money, but I was never able to go "all the way". Well I'm still not there yet. Due to different reasons. But I do know, that I have time and the power and the will. I take it step by step.

So I decided, to speed up and finally get over with the marathon. (I believe this to be the hardest part during the Tri and most certainly during an IM). I was a runner as a kid. (I did 5K in 21 when I was 8!!!, now I can only dream of those kind of times). I always believed, that running will come back easy, but it doesn't and it will take a great deal to come back. It will be harder, more painful and take more time to get back into it, than the swimming and biking together. So this is the first thing I concentrate.

I'm so grateful to have a Koach who believes in me and who is mentally supporting me. I am also happy, that the office decided to get together with a coach once a week to run. I might be the slowest at the beginning but I do believe what my Koach told me: You will be fine with the office crew.  You will likely be kicking butt very soon! J

He is after all my Koach and knows best ;) hihi

So.. here are some reasons why I run:


  • I have a lot to prove to myself and others
  • I feel like I owe it to myself and my body to get into shape again and run faster than the wind
  • For once in my life, I wanna say:" no one could stop me, I wanted it and I did it"
  • It's healthy
  • I wanna make my Koach proud!!!
  • I wanna make myself proud!
  • I wanna prove my bf wrong!!! ("I CAN'T" is NOT in my vocabulary!!!)
  • I'd like to inspire others to go after their dreams
  • When I'm old and wrinkly I'd like to tell my grandkids, what a "super-woman" I was when I was young(er) and hope they will follow in my footstep and be hopefully sooo much better than me
  • I wanna look into the mirror and say "you believed in yourself and you did it girl and you can be super proud of yourself for that"
  • I'm not going down without a fight
  • I'd love to wear a t-shirt that says "I might be 20 years older than you, but I'll kick your ass during the marathon" ;) hihi
So, Monday I'll be back training. I do feel much better... pumped with tons of vitamins (I just looove Mango and Passion-fruit) and tons of chocolate (that makes me happy)

I have a lot of new songs on my MP3 and I'm ready. After all, not even 9 more months to go and I wanna cross that finish line with a smile on my face!!!

And after that.... The Sky's the Limit!!! wooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo






No comments: