Monday, April 26, 2010

Finding the right bike

It all started about 20 years ago, when I got a Tigra bike (made in Switzerland) with Campagnolo and Shimano Accessories. My grandmother bought it for me and I was the happiest girl on earth. It was during the time, Mountain Bikes started to be super fashionable but unfortunately also unaffordable at least for most people, including me. I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the MTB and I still kind of dislike them. So I got myself a racer at the age of 12. Yes, most people thought I was crazy to get a racer in the mountains, when all you need is a MTB but I fell in love with my Blue Tigra. I got aerobars adjusted to the bike and off I went.

This is now 20 years ago and even though I still love my bike and share fond first Tri Memories, it's time to get something a bit "more serious" or at least... something that won't kill me on the street. I had my bike fixed many times but I think, this time it seems, it's just a wee bit too much damage and beyond repair... to a state where I can really ride fast.

So... searching for a new bike was quite a challenge. Not only is it difficult for a girl my height to find the perfect frame 51/48 but to be actually taken serious by the guys who sell bikes. I went into shops where the salesperson was more into me than into selling a bike to me.... thinking, if he makes me a good deal, he'll get a date out of it too. Duuuhh.. not working with me... 

Other places were pretty pro but unfortunately, the prices are somewhere in the sky above... behind the clouds.. can't really see them.. and other places.. well they didn't even bother talking to me and offer help. (Silly Blonde.. this is NOT a shoe shop.. this is a bicycle shop... get out or here!!!) 


I did some research online to find a second hand bike, but again either way too expensive or not my frame.

Today I ventured into another shop, which I pass every single day on my way to work.... and last week I saw the most wonderful Tri Bike being loaded onto a car and my heart almost stopped. Yes... I am a "weird" girl.. I get minor hear-failures when I see a nice bike. (Ok... I admit.. I get that also when I see beautiful heels hahaha.. HEY.. I'm a girl... I'm allowed to love heels haha)

So in this shop, I was shown the second hand bikes first and surprise surprise they even got two in my frame size.. woohooo and then we went to have a look at the new ones... He showed me two bikes... one from 2009 and one from 2010 of the same brand... but ever so slightly different. (Both are Endurance Road Bikes, especially for women, meaning the whole aerodynamic is a wee bit different to a "male" bike) 

The 2009 is the more expensive.


Here you've got the details:



Now the other "candidate" (and my personal favorite)

this one 



Details here:



Now the big differences are: The 2009 has Aluminium Frame but the fork and the seatstays are carbon where as the 2010 has only the fork made of carbon. The 2009 has all the extra parts (such as brakes and rear dérailleur from Shimano Tiagra whereas the 2010 has only bits and parts from Shimano Tiagra. The wheels are different too, the 2009 has Mavix CXP-22 whereas the 2010 has Alex S500. The levers are also ever so slightly different. the 2009 has them together (up and down) the 2010 has them separated. 

But here it comes.. the biggest difference and for me personally the most important one is, that the 2010 has 2 sets of breaks. the "regular" ones and the ones that we all know from the very old bikes. This is for me most certainly a big PLUS for the 2010. Now I know, that I could get the breaks for the 2009 as well, but it's also a question of money. I should mention, both bikes come with lifelong guaranty on the frame and one year on all the other parts. (another reason, not to buy second hand.. especially when the prices are almost identical to a new one)

Right now, I am just not able to afford a "super non plus ultra" bike. What I am looking for right now is a bike that gets me into the whole routine again. A bike that makes me feel comfy and I love to ride every day. A bike that I will be able to use in Sprint Tri's and then take it from there. I'd say, once I am up to "longer distances" I am able to get a better bike or at some point even a REAL Tri Bike. (ah. my heart just jumped again lol) 

And now one more thing... it's small but nonetheless is't important... the "girly factor"... yes. the 2010 is just more beautiful... absolutely... (IMHO) and I actually fell in love with it. 

But, I am willing to listen to rational thinking Athletes who have only their best intention in their minds... to give me the best advices to choose the right bike.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Gali,

Here is my take:

Points for the 2009: 1) The carbon seat stays will help dampen road vibration. 2) Not having the extra brakes cuts down on weight 3) Mavic wheels are great.

Points for the 2010: 1) You love it! Nothing makes you want to ride a bike more and wanting to ride it outweighs any other reason for bikes that are this close in specs.

That is all you probably need to know really. The differences in these two bikes is pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. The carbon seat stays are nice but definitely not necessary (I don't have that on my road bike or my triathlon bike and both are $2500 bikes). The Tiagra stuff is nice but the 2010 has the rear derailluer as Tiagra which is usually considered the most important.

I think you are on the right track with the 2010 if that is what you like. Either one would suit your needs.

Ryan