Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chased by 4000 Soldiers...



Just another "usual" race in Israel where most of the young population (18-23 y/o) is in the army. I signed up for an "easy" 8K (5 Miles) race. Thinking "oh this will be a cool one, with only about 450 runners, I finally have some space and can go without the pushing, pulling, kicking and punching". How wrong I've been.

The Ramat Gan Safari 8K had several running groups. The first one to go where the "easy fun runners" who did only 2K. 15 minutes later, we were supposed to start. In my mind again, "ah only 450 runners" and I decided to go to the front of the start line so I won't get lost again in the middle of it and hold back by slow runners.

Unfortunately, when I got to the event, (yes of course I biked... lol.. only 6 miles a way) I was a wee bit overwhelmed with all the people there. Tons and tons of soldiers... all dressed in running outfits and most holding an UZI. (yes.. only in Israel.. hahaha) I was most certain, they will run either ahead of us or start after us. After all, we paid for the race, so we should get our own start.

Again I had to learn, that in Israel there is just no order when it comes to racing. After the 2K went off, the speaker told us, "up to number 1000" please to the starting line. Guess what... all the soldiers (who had number 1000 and up) squeezed themselves in as well. No respect and no order. So trying to be in front, show to be a HUGE mistake. I ran away from a "stamped" of crazy soldiers who didn't show any respect towards "regular" runners. The course was at points so tight, we had to slow down to "walk-pace" which didn't make it easier for me.

The first 3K I kept a pace under 6min/K (well honestly, I had no choice.. there was no slowing down or speeding up space). Things like that frustrate me a lot and I was close to call it quits. It's honestly no fun to run like that. I didn't feel I was racing... I felt like I was chased by a crazy group of 4000 soldiers)

Around 4K (Halfway through) I started cramping.... my stomach again... I was in such pain, that I wasn't sure, if it would be smarter to vomit or faint. I decided to walk and breath my way through the cramps. I did so for 1K then got into running again. Cramps were manageable.

At  5.5K we entered the "Safari" which is the Zoo in Ramat Gan... funny enough a lot of runners slowed down to look at the animals... me being an animal lover did just the same. I walked almost all the way through the Safari, first enjoying it and thinking... "this is after all a cool end of the race" but after some time all that went through my mind was "poor animals, how dare we put them in cages".... So I started running again.

I did cross the finish line in a time of 55:59 which means... a pace just a weeeeee bit under 7/k. Taking into account, how much I actually walked... the time I ran was rather fast.

Seriously, a few more of those crazy races and I am ready for just about anything. I will never enjoy them. I believe they have to organize it better, especially if part of the runners pay and others don't have to. It's not fair for those who pay to be crushed by runners who don't care.

It's time, that Israel is putting a bit more effort into education those youngsters. Hey.. they are in the army... isn't the army THE place to learn discipline and order? Why can't those young people take that to the open street and races too?

I felt quite helpless during the first half of the race with all those young runners (yes.. they are about half my age.. so of course most of them they are stronger and faster) and it is frustrating to see, now one cares for the safety of the "regular" runner.

My time: 55:59
Age Group (20-34): 79 of 164 (I'd say.. not too shabby for cramps and walking... lol ok I admit.. I am a super fast walker... even most men can't keep pace with me when it comes to just walking hihi)


No comments: