Saturday, October 30, 2010

In loving Memory of Fran Crippen (April 17, 1984 – October 23, 2010)



It's been a week that Fran has left this world to swim at a better place. He will be dearly missed and leaves a huge hole in the lives of those who loved him and in the swim world.





A few weeks ago, I've been chatting with my swim pal about going to the Sea of Galilee to swim a 3.5K fun swim. Unfortunately we didn't manage to go due to my friend being ill. Kineret Swim



I told him, that he owes me big time for "standing me up" and I teased him, telling him, that next year we'll do the 21K (13 Miles) across the Lake. He started laughing and said, "no way you'll ever manage that". Well he should know me better by now.

So the bet is on. I will take a coach and hope that very soon I'll be able to join the TI Group in Tel Aviv. This is by far the biggest challenge I am facing so far and most certainly crazier than running a marathon (which will be in 5 months and 1 week.. woohoo)

OW Swimming is not only physically very challenging but mentally just as much, especially when it comes to "marathon swimming". I did some OW 10 years ago in Switzerland and it was pretty crazy with all the other swimmers trying not to get punched and kicked too much.

This swim will be very different. Yes it is a tempo swim too BUT due to the distance there won't be too many people swimming. (lets hope.. the event will even take place... if not.. we'll do a 10K in Tel Aviv).

I am looking for a Charity to swim for at the moment. I am sure, the Crippen Family will put up a fond or I will be swimming to collect money for Swim 4 Humanity for which Fran was a spokesperson. (I have another 11 months, so I'll have some more time to find the right charity to swim for in memory of Fran)

No comments: